The Care Pathway
Here at The Brisbane Spine Clinic, we dedicate ourselves to helping all of our clients throughout every stage of their recovery process. In order for us to deliver the level of care we pride ourselves on, it is vital that our clients understand our care pathway.
Below you will find a detailed breakdown of each step in our care pathway:
(Goal Setting, Past History, and Full Body Assessment)
– On your arrival, you will be asked a few questions which will guide our consultants to enable them to create a tailored treatment course to assist with reaching your full recovery and achieve your individual goals.
– If you have previously consulted other health professionals regarding your spine condition or sports injuries, it is vital to disclose this information to our consultants.
– Our consultants understand we need to look at the human body as a whole and not just the painful or symptomatic areas. Please dress in appropriate clothing such as shorts, T-Shirt/Singlet, or sports bra for females, in order for our consultants to inspect the related body parts thoroughly.
Please note, the Assessment process is quite thorough and may take close to an hour to complete. It is important that you work together with our consultants at the stage to ensure we can collect all the required information necessary to accelerate the treatment phase of your rehabilitation.
Treatment Stage (Manual Therapy, Exercise Therapy and Posture/Technique education)
– Once the target dysfunction of the body is identified, our consultants will design and utilise the most appropriate, safe and effective treatment methods to achieve the desired results.
– Usually, if the correct dysfunctional body part is identified, instant measurable results ( such as range of motion, muscle strength, and length, nerve movement and/or balance and coordination) can be achieved.
– Our consultants will then prescribe the correct exercises or advice in order to maintain the treatment results over the course of your treatment plan.
– It is essential to understand the human body works as one entity, areas that may seem unrelated to your painful body part may be the true cause of your pain. Our consultant will demonstrate and explain this during the treatment process.
Once multiple dysfunctions of your body have been resolved with the treatment you will begin to regain full function of your body.
– Initially, treatment sessions will be scheduled quite frequently, on average 2 sessions per week over 3 weeks.
– As your body recovers and postures/habits/behaviors that are driving your symptoms are identified and resolved through our treatment process, our consultants will start to reduce the treatment frequency and allow your body to function independently without reliance on treatment.
– It is important in this phase to realise that, just because you do not experience pain or dysfunction, does not mean your condition has fully resolved. It is not uncommon for patients to misinterpret this and cease treatment against our best advice only to reinjure themselves with greater severity.
– Our consultant will guide you and update you on your recovery progress to ensure you are on track to achieving a full recovery.
– Our consultants understand that there is no single cause of a complex chronic spine condition.
– After Our consultants have resolved your musculoskeletal dysfunction in your body and achieved the best function and outcome, it is important for us to continue to ensure your body functions at its best.
– There are some factors that may recur and continue to drive the accumulation of body strain that may result in a relapse of your spine/musculoskeletal condition.
– Therefore, it is important to allow our consultants to check and treat on a regular basis, to ensure these strains do not build up to another relapse of your condition.
– it is recommended that our clients be reviewed on a monthly basis for during this phase.